Object: Poster, ’You are helping by carrying your shopping’
This image has No Known Copyright Restrictions.
To the best of Te Papa’s knowledge, under New Zealand law:
- there is no copyright or other intellectual property rights in this work in New Zealand; and
- the work may be copied and otherwise re-used in New Zealand without copyright or other intellectual property rights related restriction.
Te Papa will not be liable to you, on any legal basis (including negligence), for any loss or damage you suffer through your use of this material, except in those cases where the law does not allow us to exclude or limit our liability to you.
|Title||Poster, ’You are helping by carrying your shopping’|
Henry Hildesley Ltd. (printing firm), Early 1940s, London
H.M. Stationery Office (publisher)
|Materials||printing ink, paper|
x 389mm (Width/Depth)
|Credit line||Gift of Mr C H Andrews, 1967|
This poster was printed in Britain during the Second World War (1939-45) to remind people to conserve fuel resources which were rationed.
It was donated to Te Papa by Wellington businessman Mr Cecil H. Andrews. He collected many such posters during the war and distributed them to his clients for display in their shop windows, such as McKenzies, James Smith’s and Woolworths. This particular poster would have been just as resonant in New Zealand as in Britain, as petrol was rationed here from 1939-46.
The poster shows an ordinary person going about their business, which is often a feature of Second World War posters. Civilians were frequently targeted by government campaigns – to volunteer for service, to give money, to recycle and conserve resources. In the Second World War everyone was expected to play a part, and it would have been hard to escape the direct appeal of colourful posters like this on city streets.
Results from DigitalNZ
Searching 27 million digital objects from over 150 content partners across New Zealand
- Notice of Intention to Remove Companies From the Register - Department of Internal Affairs
- Page 1 Advertisements Column 4 (Hawera & Normanby Star, 15 August 1922) - National Library of New Zealand
- GENERAL NEWS. (Feilding Star, 02 January 1902) - National Library of New Zealand
- Page 3 Advertisements Column 1 (Ohinemuri Gazette, 17 March 1919) - National Library of New Zealand
Disclaimer: This information was created from historic documentation, and may not necessarily reflect the best available knowledge about the item. Some collection images are created for identification purposes only and may not be of reproduction quality. Some images are not available due to copyright restrictions. If you have information or questions about objects in the collection, contact us using our enquiry form. You can also find out more about Collections Online.