Object: Poster, ’Duty Calls The Youth Of New Zealand’
This image has No Known Copyright Restrictions.
To the best of Te Papa’s knowledge, under New Zealand law:
- there is no copyright or other intellectual property rights in this work in New Zealand; and
- the work may be copied and otherwise re-used in New Zealand without copyright or other intellectual property rights related restriction.
Te Papa will not be liable to you, on any legal basis (including negligence), for any loss or damage you suffer through your use of this material, except in those cases where the law does not allow us to exclude or limit our liability to you.
|Title||Poster, ’Duty Calls The Youth Of New Zealand’|
C. M. Banks Ltd. (printing firm), 1942, Wellington
|Medium summary||Three colour block printed text over half tone offset lithographic image on paper|
|Materials||paper, printing ink|
x 505mm (Width)
|Credit line||Gift of Mr C H Andrews, 1967|
This is a recruitment poster designed and printed in World War II. 'Duty Calls The Youth of New Zealand' is an invitation to young New Zealanders to join the Air Training Corps, which was founded in 1941 to make sure there were enough future recruits to fill Royal New Zealand Air Force ranks.
The Air Training Corps
Boys between the ages of sixteen and a half and eighteen years were eligible to join. In March 1942 the age limit was extended to boys aged from sixteen to meet the anticipated need for larger numbers of recruits at a later date. By April 1942, 140 cadets had applied for service with the RNZAF and the first hundred were mobilised in June. These cadets became part of the over 40,000 men and women who served in the RNZAF during World War II.
The survival of such ephemera is rare, and it illustrates that youth were targeted as part of New Zealand's overall war effort. The poor condition of this poster indicates that it may have been displayed outside.
Results from DigitalNZ
Searching 27 million digital objects from over 150 content partners across New Zealand
- Artist unknown :Duty calls the youth of New Zealand. Join the Air Training Corps now! Open to lads from 16 to 18 years. Offset - C.M. Banks Ltd, Wellington  - Alexander Turnbull Library
- Posters. (Colonist, 07 February 1860) - National Library of New Zealand
- POSTER APPEALS. (Feilding Star, 25 March 1916) - National Library of New Zealand
- PICTURE POSTERS. (Poverty Bay Herald, 01 April 1911) - National Library of New Zealand
Disclaimer: This information was created from historic documentation, and may not necessarily reflect the best available knowledge about the item. Some collection images are created for identification purposes only and may not be of reproduction quality. Some images are not available due to copyright restrictions. If you have information or questions about objects in the collection, contact us using our enquiry form. You can also find out more about Collections Online.