Object: Portrait of Kathleen Veronica O’Brien, wearing a soldier’s uniform.
This image is No known copyright restriction.
To the best of Te Papa’s knowledge, under New Zealand law:
- there is no copyright or other intellectual property rights in this image in New Zealand; and
- it may be copied and otherwise re-used in New Zealand without copyright or other intellectual property right related restriction.
Te Papa will not be liable to you, on any legal basis (including negligence), for any loss or damage you suffer through your use of this material, except in those cases where the law does not allow us to exclude or limit our liability to you.
You may download and use Te Papa’s images of this work for non-commercial uses.
How to download the image
To download the image from this page, right-click on the image and choose “Save Picture as” (or the equivalent for your browser).
High resolution files and commercial uses
If you need a high resolution file or would like a license for commercial use, please follow the Buy or license link under each image to log your request (charges apply).
You must include the caption information and credit Te Papa as the image source when you use Te Papa’s images. Here are two examples of captioning and crediting Te Papa prefers:
- Railway Workshops - Petone, 1880 - 1889, New Zealand. Burton Brothers. Purchased 1998. Reproduced courtesy of Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa (O.009829)
- [Expedition party led by Quintin McKinnon], 1888, Dunedin. Frederick Muir, Muir & Moodie. Reproduced courtesy of Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa (C.001879)
More information about copyright
We recommend these resources for more information:
- Copyright in NZ - Ministry of Economic Development
- Copyright guidelines and resource - Lianza
- Enabling use and re-use - Digital NZ
Find more information about Te Papa's rights project on our blog, including how rights types are assigned.
Get in touch
Please contact email@example.com
- if you have any information regarding this work and rights to it, or
- if you wish to contact the rights holder for this work. We will assist where we can.
|Title||Portrait of Kathleen Veronica O’Brien, wearing a soldier’s uniform.|
Berry & Co (photography studio), 1914, Wellington
|Medium summary||black and white glass negative|
|Materials||silver, photographic gelatin, sheet glass, photographic plates|
|Classification||black-and-white negatives, gelatin dry plate negatives, studio portraits, portraits|
|Format||half plate (1/2)|
|Credit line||Purchased 1998 with New Zealand Lottery Grants Board funds|
Portrait of Kathleen Veronica O'Brien ( 1890 - 1973 ) dressed in the uniform of a Gunner in the Royal New Zealand Artillery.
There is a small rosette pinned to the tunic which suggests that Kathleen was involved in some form of patriotic fundraising.
The identification of WWI soldiers photographed by Berry & Co. is an ongoing project. If you have any information that you’d like share about the men or the people they are photographed with, please email the Berry Boys project team at Berryboys@tepapa.govt.nz. Or you can contact us by writing to the Berry Boys project team, Te Papa, P O Box 467, Wellington 6140.
Disclaimer: This information was created from historic documentation, and may not necessarily reflect the best available knowledge about the item. Some collection images are created for identification purposes only and may not be of reproduction quality. Some images are not available due to copyright restrictions. If you have information or questions about objects in the collection, contact us using our enquiry form. You can also find out more about Collections Online.