Object: Union Jack flag with Fijian crest
This image has No Known Copyright Restrictions.
To the best of Te Papa’s knowledge, under New Zealand law:
- there is no copyright or other intellectual property rights in this work in New Zealand; and
- the work may be copied and otherwise re-used in New Zealand without copyright or other intellectual property rights related restriction.
Te Papa will not be liable to you, on any legal basis (including negligence), for any loss or damage you suffer through your use of this material, except in those cases where the law does not allow us to exclude or limit our liability to you.
|Title||Union Jack flag with Fijian crest|
Unknown (manufacturer(s)), circa 1908, Fiji
x 1800mm (Length)
|Credit line||Purchased 2012|
This rare flag is from Fiji and features the Union Jack with the Fijian coat of arms. It was formally approved by a royal warrant in 1908, three years before New Zealand’s flag was approved in 1911. Fiji was annexed by Great Britain in 1874, and the flag represents the colonial presence and relationship between the two countries at that time.
The coat of arms
The coat of arms depicts two men (one holds a type of weapon called a totokia, and the other a spear) on either side of a coat of arms, above which is a camakau (sailing canoe). The coat of arms features a red cross and the symbols of the main crops in Fiji -sugar cane, copra and bananas. The dove is from the coat of arms of the Fijian King Seru Epenesa Cakobau. A leopard (also known as a lion passant guardant) represents British colonists and trade croppers and holds a cocoa pod or coconut in its paws. The banner at the bottom reads: Rerevaka Na Kalou Ka Doka Na Tui – Fear God, Honour the King.
This flag was purchased at auction in 2012.
Results from DigitalNZ
Searching 27 million digital objects from over 150 content partners across New Zealand
- CURRENT TOPICS. (Star, 21 October 1893) - National Library of New Zealand
- LOCAL & GENERAL (Otago Witness, 19 October 1893) - National Library of New Zealand
- LONGFELLOW. (Otago Witness, 19 August 1908) - National Library of New Zealand
- Biographical Sketches OF THE COLONISTS OF THE FIRST DECADE, (Otago Witness, 17 March 1898) - National Library of New Zealand
Disclaimer: This information was created from historic documentation, and may not necessarily reflect the best available knowledge about the item. Some collection images are created for identification purposes only and may not be of reproduction quality. Some images are not available due to copyright restrictions. If you have information or questions about objects in the collection, contact us using our enquiry form. You can also find out more about Collections Online.