Title / object name
|Maker ||Role ||Date |
|Ashby Potters' Guild ||potter ||about 1915 |
Earthenware with allover purple/mauve glazeMaterials
|Overall ||220 (Height) mm|
|Overall ||35 (Height) mm|
Walter C Cook Decorative Art Collection, Gift of Walter Cook, 1992
This vase was made by an English studio pottery that specialised in handmade ceramics known for their special glaze effects. Ashby Potters' Guild was founded in 1909 by Pascoe Tunnicliffe, a ceramic chemist who was one of a family of potters. In 1922 Tunnicliffe merged his pottery with that of William Ault and the resulting business was named Ault and Tunnicliffe.
Many of Ashby Potters' Guild wares, including this vase, were inspired by oriental, and in particular Chinese, ceramics. The influence can be seen in the shapes and glazes, such as lustre and crystalline glazes, favoured by Tunnicliffe.
Many English potteries - small studio potteries as well as larger manufacturers such as Doulton - were inspired by the simple, elegant shapes and complicated glazes of Chinese ceramics. The Doulton factory achieved much recognition in the early twentieth century for its development of Chinese-style glazes.
The Walter Cook Collection
This particular vase is from the Walter C Cook Collection of Decorative Arts. Over a twenty-five year period, Wellington collector Walter Cook developed a significant collection of British and European decorative arts. In 1993 he gave his collection to the National Museum, now known as Te Papa.