Title / object name
Poster, ’Chateau Tongariro’
|Maker ||Role ||Date |
|New Zealand Railways Publicity Branch ||creating agency ||circa 1932 |
|Coulls Somerville Wilkie Ltd ||printing firm ||circa 1932 |
Colour lithograph on paperMaterials
|Overall ||1015 (Height) x 640 (Length) mm|
The luxurious Chateau Tongariro opened in 1929 in Tongariro National Park and was owned by the New Zealand government's tourism department. The Chateau's civilised Regency-style portico is contrasted with the dangerously erupting snow-covered mountain. The figures populating the poster imagery are dressed for any occasion; be it sport out in the 'wild' or relaxing on the balcony.
The opening of the North Island main trunk railway in 1908 had provided a major boost to New Zealand's fledgling tourist industry, including opening up the central North Island’s Tongariro National Park, which became a popular holiday area in the 1920s.