Title / object name
silk, cotton, glass, brass
|Waist circumference ||560 mm|
Gift of Miss C Rothwell, 1982
This blue silk wedding dress was worn for a wedding in Wales in 1894. It has leg-of-mutton sleeves, which were very fashionable at the time and reached their largest in the mid 1890s. These enormous puffs had to be balanced by a wide skirt and tight waist, as seen in this dress.
The brilliance of the blue comes from aniline dyes, which were synthetic dyes developed in 1856. The blue was probably quite daring for the bride, as white was firmly established as the favoured colour for wedding dresses by the end of the 19th century.