Object: Ballarat Street, Queenstown, NZ, flooded 1878
This image has No Known Copyright Restrictions.
To the best of Te Papa’s knowledge, under New Zealand law:
- there is no copyright or other intellectual property rights in this work in New Zealand; and
- the work may be copied and otherwise re-used in New Zealand without copyright or other intellectual property rights related restriction.
Te Papa will not be liable to you, on any legal basis (including negligence), for any loss or damage you suffer through your use of this material, except in those cases where the law does not allow us to exclude or limit our liability to you.
|Title||Ballarat Street, Queenstown, NZ, flooded 1878|
Hart, William (photographer), 1878, Queenstown
Hart, Campbell & Co (photography studio), 1878, Invercargill
|Medium summary||collodion glass negative|
|Materials||collodion, sheet glass, silver, photographic plates|
|Classification||wet collodion negatives, documentary photographs, black-and-white negatives|
|Technique||black-and-white photography, wet collodion process|
|Format||whole plate (1/1)|
|Credit line||Purchased 1943|
Long before photographs were used in newspapers, William Hart took this picture of Queenstown in flood. Like so many news images of later times, it draws on the extraordinary spectacle of people boating in an urban street – and in this case, even the possibility that a ship might be about to literally steam into town. Photography was still a relative novelty, so the townsfolk were out in force to be recorded for posterity. Their presence reinforces the sense in which photography can be both witness and performance.
Find additional information about this object at these sites
- Google Art Project
Results from DigitalNZ
Searching 27 million digital objects from over 150 content partners across New Zealand
- Ballarat Street, Queenstown, in flood - Alexander Turnbull Library
- Untitled (Southland Times, 03 December 1878) - National Library of New Zealand
- THE COLONIST. (Colonist, 04 April 1878) - National Library of New Zealand
- News of the Week. (Otago Witness, 09 March 1878) - National Library of New Zealand
Disclaimer: This information was created from historic documentation, and may not necessarily reflect the best available knowledge about the item. Some collection images are created for identification purposes only and may not be of reproduction quality. Some images are not available due to copyright restrictions. If you have information or questions about objects in the collection, contact us using our enquiry form. You can also find out more about Collections Online.