Object: Poster, ’Enrolment of Expeditionary Force Reserve’
This image has No Known Copyright Restrictions.
To the best of Te Papa’s knowledge, under New Zealand law:
- there is no copyright or other intellectual property rights in this work in New Zealand; and
- the work may be copied and otherwise re-used in New Zealand without copyright or other intellectual property rights related restriction.
Te Papa will not be liable to you, on any legal basis (including negligence), for any loss or damage you suffer through your use of this material, except in those cases where the law does not allow us to exclude or limit our liability to you.
|Title||Poster, ’Enrolment of Expeditionary Force Reserve’|
National Recruiting Board (publisher), August 1916, New Zealand
Government Printer (printer), August 1916, Wellington
|Classification||official documents, posters, political posters|
x 217mm (Width)
|Credit line||Gift of the New Zealand Government, 1919|
This First World War poster was printed when conscription became law in New Zealand on 1 August 1916. It details the obligations and requirements under the Military Service Act, 1916.
Different sizes of this poster were printed. This is an example of the smaller placard version, of which 130,000 copies were printed and distributed throughout New Zealand for display.
The depth and breadth of their display was impressive. Under the War Regulations, posters and placards could be supplied to the 'owner or occupier of any shop, factory, office, wharf, hotel, or boardinghouse, or…any other premises which are frequented by the public', including licensed clubs, tramcars, Harbour Board offices, passenger and coastal steamers, roads, streets, railway stations, junctions, railway carriages, police stations, motion picture theatres, tourist resorts, Defence Offices, Public Works Department sites and camps, post and telegraph offices. They had to displayed in a 'conspicuous place' for at least one calendar month (New Zealand Government 1916).However, not everyone saw these posters and placards. Even though they were sent to isolated communities, full registration and mobilisation were hampered by the thousands of men living and working in isolated back country areas, only occasionally picking up mail and newspapers, or travelling on public transport.
Results from DigitalNZ
Searching 27 million digital objects from over 150 content partners across New Zealand
- EXPEDITIONARY FORCE RESERVE. (Colonist, 02 September 1916) - National Library of New Zealand
- Dominion of New Zealand. Military Service Act, 1916. Enrolment of Expeditionary Force reserve. [September 1916]. - Alexander Turnbull Library
- EXPEDITIONARY FORCE RESERVE (Wanganui Chronicle, 15 September 1916) - National Library of New Zealand
- Dominion of New Zealand. Military Service Act, 1916 :Enrolment of Expeditionary Force Reserve...Call at nearest post-office.. 1916. - Alexander Turnbull Library
Disclaimer: This information was created from historic documentation, and may not necessarily reflect the best available knowledge about the item. Some collection images are created for identification purposes only and may not be of reproduction quality. Some images are not available due to copyright restrictions. If you have information or questions about objects in the collection, contact us using our enquiry form. You can also find out more about Collections Online.